Here’s the thing about mushrooms. You can do a lot with them. They can sometimes be the backbone of a meat dish. But they can always hold their own too.
As vegetarians, there aren’t enough versatile options out there. There’s just so much that can be done with vegetables if you treat them with respect. The earthy flavour of mushrooms is something I can’t get enough of. So, here’s a very simple side or appetizer that you can whip up in less than an hour. And the prep time isn’t even 20 minutes.
Stuff your mushrooms and make this awesome recipe.
- 12 whole button mushrooms
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 small red onion
- ¼ cup cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- ¼ cup breadcrumbs
- ¼ teaspoon basil
- ¼ teaspoon thyme
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Clean and dry the mushrooms well. Break off the stems carefully and mince them finely.
- Mince the red onion and garlic cloves finely too.
- Take a large bowl and add the minced mushroom stems, red onion, garlic, cheese, heavy cream, breadcrumbs, basil, thyme, lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- Use a little spoon and fill the mushroom cavity with your stuffing. Sprinkle some more cheese on the top.
- Preheat the oven to 200° C. Coat your baking tray with olive oil. Arrange the mushrooms carefully on the tray, cavity side up. Drizzle the remaining oil on top of the mushrooms.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until the tops are golden.
And that’s all. It’s very simple. Take hardly 20 minutes to prep and is an awesome explosion of flavour in your mouth. Make them for as an appetizer before your dinner party. Or just a delicious snack for tea time. Spend a few more minutes for the perfect dip. Take half a cup of cream, add some minced onions, fried garlic, salt, pepper and lemon. Now enjoy!
Do tell me if you like the recipe.