Cream of Mushroom Soup
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cooking Time: 30 mins
Winter seems to have made a comeback after teasing us that it would be gone. I’m pretty grumpy about that. The weather in Delhi has a really fickle mind that likes to ruin all your plans. Now that I have to snuggle in my blankets again, I feel like this whole cozy picture is missing something. What I need is a bowl of this amazing Cream of Mushroom soup.
This soup is as rich as it gets, loaded with deliciously browned mushrooms and a lot of cream. And it won’t just go with any old bread, you need a whole loaf of fresh garlic bread with it and you’ll be in heaven.
For the kind of flavor this soup has, you’d think it requires a lot of work. But it does not! The prep and cooking take so little time. You just need your veggies sliced and you can start cooking right away.
The recipe calls for Chicken stock but you can completely replace it with vegetable stock and it will be as delicious. Then the Cream of Mushroom soup becomes vegetarian and you can happily serve it to your non-meat-eating friends.
- 250g Button mushrooms sliced
- 1 White onion finely sliced
- 7-8 Garlic cloves minced
- 1 cup Heavy cream
- 1 cup Chicken or Vegetable Stock
- 1 tablespoon Flour
- 2 tablespoons Butter
- Salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Heat the butter in the pan. Add the finely sliced onion. Fry until it becomes translucent.
- Add the chopped garlic and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add the sliced mushrooms and fry until they release water. Let the mushrooms become golden brown.
- Coat the mushrooms with flour and stir for another minute.
- Add the stock, then pour in the cream. Let it come to a gentle boil.
- Add the salt and freshly ground black pepper. You can add about a teaspoon of the pepper if you want extra heat in the soup.
- Let the cream of mushroom soup simmer for 4-5 minutes. Then add the pinch of nutmeg.
- (Optional) You can blend the entire soup in the blender until the mushroom chunks are gone. If you don’t want a silky, smooth soup, then you can skip this step.