Chicken Char Siu Empanadas
This is one of those recipes that was an experiment. It could’ve turned out to be a disaster but thankfully, it was quite spectacular. Chicken Char Siu Empanadas is a mixture of Chinese cuisine and Spanish cuisine. Or you could say it doesn’t fit into either category because, well, it’s really different. But it is definitely delicious. I promise!
When I have a bunch of puff pastry with me, I can never really decide what to make. This time, before I could run out of time, I decided to make empanadas. But I wanted to give it my own twist. Ever since I made the Char Siu Pork recipe, I have quite fallen in love with that combination of spices. So, after I made a potsticker version, I just had to make some Chicken Char Siu Empanadas.
The recipe requires 1 sheet of puff pastry. I used store bought but you can make your own too. It will yield anywhere around 25-30 empanadas. More if you’re not wasteful like me. The best results are when you marinate the chicken for the filling overnight but an hour will also do. Other than the rolling out of pastry and folding up each individual empanada, the recipe doesn’t take much time.
I do hope you like my take and try these Chicken Char Siu Empanadas.
- 500g Boneless chicken breasts
- 4-5 Garlic cloves minced
- 2 teaspoon Brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Honey
- 2 tablespoons Hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons Dark soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon Chinese five spice powder
- ¼ cup of Red wine
- 1 medium White onion diced
- 1 sheet of Puff pastry
- 2 eggs
- Cut the chicken into bite sized pieces and add them to a bowl. Add the minced garlic cloves, brown sugar, honey, hoisin sauce, dark soy sauce, Chinese five spice powder and red wine to the bowl. Let it marinate for 1 hour minimum or overnight in the fridge.
- Once the chicken is marinated, add it to a blender. Blend the chicken mixture to a thick paste. Add more wine if the mixture seems dry to you.
- Add the diced onion to the mixture and set it aside.
- Roll out the sheet of puff pastry. Cut out circles. One sheet of puff pastry should yield anywhere around 25-30 empanadas.
- Hold the pastry wrapper upright between the thumb and index finger of your left hand. Put one spoon of filling in each wrapper. Seal the empanada with a little bit of water around the rim of the wrapper. Pinch both the sides together to make sure it is properly sealed.
- Preheat your oven to 220° C. Line the empanadas on the baking tray.
- Take the eggs and whisk them up. Then brush the chicken char siu empanadas with the egg wash, ensuring an even coat.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the empanadas are golden brown.
Serve the steaming Chicken Char Siu Empanadas with a spicy sriracha dip or some sour cream mixed with chives. Or you can even munch them down without any sauce. Trust me, they are that good.
And that’s all for this delicious recipe. Hope you liked it!